Friday, March 23, 2007

MICK JAGGER - MAN OF FAITH



Many people regard the Rolling Stones as demonic - basing this assumption on tracks like "Sympathy for the Devil" and albums like "Their Satanic Majesties Request". But after trawling the internet, as I do quite often, I've unearthed some very interesting lyrics - even though some are a bit negative. These lyrics tend to prove that Mick Jagger is a Christian. Considering I'm a Stones fan, I should know for sure, but I can only assume that Mick Jagger writes the lyrics while Keith Richards provides the music. Anyway, I've cut the songs down to the relevant Christian content:- RP - 23 March 2007


Out of Focus

I saw towering spires,

I heard beautiful chimes,
I heard them pealI saw visions of grace,
I saw heavenly place, then it disappeared

Wandering Spirit


When all the twelve Apostles try to ring me on the phone

Take a message but I won't return their call
For I have no eyes to see him and I thought I lost my way
And I know I've lost the keys to your door

(From Mick Jagger solo album: Wandering Spirit – 1993)



Blinded by Rainbows


Did you ever feel the pain
That he felt upon the cross
Did you ever feel the knife
Tearing flesh that's oh so soft...

Do you hide away the fear
Put down paradise as lost…
Are your clothes all wet
Do you see the light
Is the end in sight
See the face of Christ
Enter paradise
I doubt it

(From Stones album: Voodoo Lounge – 1994)


Saint of Me

And could you stand the torture
And could you stand the pain
Could you put your faith in Jesus
When you're burning in the flames

And I do believe in miracles
And I want to save my soul
And I know that I'm a sinner
I'm gonna die here in the cold

Flip the Switch

I'm not going to burn in hell
I cased the joint
And I know it well
Maybe my carcass
Would feed the worms
But I'm working
For the other firm

(From Stones album: Bridges to Babylon – 1997)


Joy

I was looking for the Buddha
And I saw Jesus Christ
He smiled and shrugged his shoulder
And lit a cigarette
Said jump for joy
Make some noise
Remember what I said
My soul is a like a ruby
And I threw it in the earth
But now my hands are bleeding
From scrabbling in the dirt
And I look up to the heavens
And a light is on my face
I never never never
Thought I'd find a state of grace

(From Mick Jagger solo album: Goddess in the Doorway – 2001)


Back of My Hand

I hear a preacher on the corner
Ranting like a crazy man
He says there's trouble, troubles are coming
I can read it like the back of my hand

I see love, I see misery
Jamming side by side on the stage
In the wind some mournful melody
I can read it like the back of my hand

(From Stones album: A Bigger Bang – 2005)

13 comments:

The Knitter said...

It's doubtful if Mick is a Christian - after all he did say in 1969 that he didn't believe in Western bereavement when commneting on how the Stones were going to remember Brian Jones!

The song Out of Focus also contains the line 'Now I live in fear' !

As for the excellent 'Wandering Spirit'
This verse is hardly an endorsement of Christianity:
I was a glutton at the banquet and I spilt the finest wine
Trod the pyramids and ruins of Angkor
I kissed the Mona Lisa and I breakfasted with kings
And I touched the nerves of nature in the raw

Blinded By Rainbows was actually Mick's comments on two Irish tribes (apparently Christian) hell-bent on murdering each other !

As for the other songs it's actually quite difficult to decide which of the Stones wrote the words or the music. The song 'Angie' was written by Keith, yeah, he came to Mick's hows and said he had this great song 'Angie, Angie' then he promptly fell asleep. Mick took those two words and constructed the rest of the song! Or so its said.

Anyway the article was a good read and it made me think!

Unknown said...

Interesting. I found this page after 'Googling' "is Mick Jagger a Christian?". What made me ask this was that I, by complete chance, came across his song called 'God gave me everything' which is the first song on his compilation from 2007.

Unknown said...

"Like most English people I'm not a great believer. I've read Richard Dawkins' book and it's very persuasive. I'm more in awe of the universe and that's not really a belief in God. It's a belief in something. I don't have belief in the Holy Book. I don't think many English people do.

This is a quote from Mick Jagger from a 2007 article promoting his best of slo work. Sound like a beliver to you? Get real. Out of Focus shows that he may have had a belife in something long ago, but he chose another path, so now he lives in fear. Wandering Sirit is a frank admission that he indulged in every form of fleshy pleasure , forsaking the spiritual for the carnal. He admits right in these songs , and knows he will regret it , none the less , that is the path he chose. Wake up man!

The Knitter said...

It's doubtful whether Mick Jagger would prostrate himself in front of an altar/cross or whatever it is that Christians do to proclaim their faith.

There's no doubt that he has performed many acts of a charitable nature that could be labelled as 'christian' but this kind of charitable giving exists in all cultures, all religions AND none.

The only label I'd put on Mick is that he is the lead singer in a damn good rock and roll band.

ledonnarama said...

People, please! Open your minds, loosen up, enlighten yourselves. We so love to find the bad, the wrong, to judge...when there is so much goodness right in front of our eyes. It's actually the Devil's delusion...to have people think that musicians (and specifically here, The Rolling Stones)...is ALL bad, ALL pagan-sex-drugs-and-rock-and-roll. However, the truth is far from that premise. If you study, know, and understand the music of the Stones, as well as really pay attention to their true charachter and demeanor...it is clear to see they were inspired by soul and gospel music, country, rythym & blues. Mick and the Stones, like most of us...are people of faith who have struggled with it, tested it, experimented with and questioned it. No doubt as well evidenced, the band went through an occult period where they experimented with and were seduced by Satan. But if you read some of the history, there came a time, around that of the Manson Murders, Altamont, etc., they began to see that indeed the devil was real, and was not friendly. Things are not so black and white, "sinner-or-saint". They are good people anointed with talent yet burdened by their own flesh as well as sin. People are not inherently evil just because someone has used drugs, practiced witchcraft, or questioned God. We are all sinners, and life if very much about trial and error, that is the beauty of why God has given us free will. But through the blood of Jesus there is forgiveness. And I personally believe that at the end of the day, though they are far from perfect...Mick Jagger, Keith and the rest of the boys...will be with us up in Heaven. I have no doubt that personally, these men have had some good spiritually cleansing talks with God. The Stones believed in The Spirit, in Faith, in God, Christ, and The Devil. Just like me...they struggled. We all do. That's why we are sinners, that's what we do. But Praise God, we are redeemed, and I hope that someday people might understand that God really does work in some amazing,unexpected, complex, unorthodox...truly mysterious ways. That's why he's God, and that's what makes him so kick-ass.

rock on said...

Amen to ladonnarama-cause she said it perfectly! So please, all you closed-minded negative people are sinners too for judging anyone. And if you are true Christians then Pray he is saved or else just shut up!!! By the way, go ahead & throw the first stone if you think you can. If you do then you are a liar too! If all we had to worry about was rock music it would be a lot better world! And lastly think about this next time you're sinning!!!!!!!

Andrew said...

If God can forgive David of sleeping with another's man wife and then killing his husband, I think God can forgive this man.

Although it makes us angry .... the older brother in us rises up. "But he didn't do it the way I did! He didn't go through all the hard times I did!"

God will have mercy on whom he will have mercy.

Andrew said...

If God can forgive David of sleeping with another's man wife and then killing his husband, I think God can forgive this man.

Although it makes us angry .... the older brother in us rises up. "But he didn't do it the way I did! He didn't go through all the hard times I did!"

God will have mercy on whom he will have mercy.

Andrew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I have also read that the song "Saintof Me" from Bridges to Babylon, some people think that it is Mick saying, "You'll never make a saint of me". Well I don't think so, if you read the lyrics in the 1st verse he talks about Paul saying Jesus hit with a blinding light AND THEN HIS LIFE BEGAN. The chorus (you'll never make a saint of me) does not follow that verse. The next two verses who are about 2 other people, who did not repent, then that chorus follows. If he didn't believe in the bible, why would he write so many lyrics from many different songs about it? I tend to think he does believe in Jesus.

Unknown said...

A good rock star in his song he does show that he believes in God. The article you're talking about was a hoax. Make never said any of that.
He has said time and time again he believes in God. All his song what is there against living as a christin or for it he always mentions something to do with the Bible. How could he got sympathy for the devil if he didn't believe in God? May the good Lord shine a light on me. God give me everything I want. In a few more. Mick is Catholic.

Unknown said...

If mick were ro be saved and then on a speaking tour, it would spark one of the biggest tevivals ever. From 18 to 21 i worshipped the rolling stones and even blew off a final college exam to go to Landover to see them. If mick were saved given his passion for life.. he would be a very passionate Christian. I pray to god this happens.

Unknown said...

Above from Boyce Garland